Sinus Lift Post-Operative Instructions
As discussed at your consultation visit, the bone graft sinus lift procedure will increase available bone in the upper jaw for the placement of dental implants in the future. The sinus lift procedure involves manipulating and raising the sinus membrane. To help the sinuses heal properly and increase the success of the bone graft that was placed, we ask that you faithfully follow these instructions:
- Take prescriptions as directed.
- Do not spit for several days.
- Do not smoke
- Do not use a straw for 2 weeks.
- Do not blow your nose for at least 2-3 weeks. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Nose blowing causes undesired sinus pressure and will disrupt the healing of the bone graft.
- Try not to sneeze; it will also cause undesired sinus pressure. If you must sneeze, keep your mouth open.
- Use of an oral decongestant (pseudoephedrine) for 1-2 weeks is encouraged, especially if you feel “stuffy”.
- Avoid heavy lifting, straining, or bearing down for 2 weeks.
- Avoid air travel for 2 weeks.
- East soft foods for a few days.
- Sleep with your head elevated for at least 10 days. Do not sleep flat.
- Do not rinse vigorously for several days. Gentle saltwater swishes may be used.
- If you have a denture, please keep the denture in for 24 hours immediately after surgery. Remove it after 24 hours to clean it and immediately place it back in the mouth. Continue doing this for at least 1 week. This will ensure that the denture will fit during the initial phase of post-operative swelling. After ~2 weeks’ time, your denture may need to be adjusted so as to fit against the healing tissues.
It is common to have a slight amount of bleeding from the nose for several days. Please call us if it is excessive or recurring.
Following the sinus precautions above is the best way to aid the healing process and to assist in predictable healing of the bone grafts that were placed.
Please call our office at Pavone Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, PC Phone Number 845-675-8008 immediately if any abnormal symptoms arise.